One thing we hear over and over again from bride & groom is that they always feel rushed, or that they weren’t able to relax and enjoy the wedding day. This could be because of many reasons; but one of the main reasons typically is that the couple made an unrealistic schedule, and didn’t stick to it! Melissa Jill with Melissa Jill Photography is an award winning international wedding photographer out of Phoenix, Arizona. With over 150 weddings under her belt, she literally has seen everything at weddings. Melissa wrote a great article on her blog on her version of the ideal wedding day timeline. According to her post, she states;
There are SO many factors that make each wedding unique so more than likely, any bride looking at this will have to make some tweaks. Other considerations you will have to make when nailing down your timeline include: sunset time, location/weather, the amount of time your photographer requires for portraits, transportation time (this model assumes one location), the type of reception you want and any cultural traditions or elements that will make your wedding day unique. Each of these elements will cause you to need to tweak the timeline.
Breaking it down, there are five things you need to take into consideration when you are structuring the timeline for the big day;
- Consult a wedding planner. A wedding planner will help you navigate through the day and makes sure everything runs smoothly.
- If you are having reception & ceremony at separate venues, always give yourself extra time because of possible traffic. Typical rule of thumb we use is whatever your GPS/Google Map says, for example 30 minutes for driving. Multiply it by 1.5 and give yourself an extra 15 minutes.
- Check with your photographer’s specific shooting style. If he/she is a ‘natural light’ shooter, then most likely portraits will have to take place during daylight. Your schedule might have to shift accordingly.
- Anticipate that everything will take longer than they usually do. Built in 5 minute cushions for all major formalities.
- Relax! Decide on what formalities are ‘must haves’ for you and your fiance, and the rest is just bonus.
Do you have any tip on making a realistic schedule? Share with the rest us by leaving a comment in the post!